1. Gather all your packing items together like tape, markers, and boxes ahead of time. Even if you have some boxes it’s best to wait until you have all the boxes you need so you
2. Get more boxes than you think you need, in fact get twice as much as you think you need! People usually underestimate how many boxes you need and it’s always better to have more than less and have to find more in the middle of your packing.
3. Gather all your items that you can add to boxes or use as packing material and put them together. Items like sheets, blankets, towels, and newspaper you can use as packing materials for fragile items or to fill up a box that is almost full.
4. Boxes should be completely filled or they may get crushed or dented during the move. Use your materials you gathered.
5. Cover your mattresses with two fitted bed sheets on each side of the mattress so you don’t end up sleeping on a dirty mattress or purchase mattress bags.
6. Pack an overnight bag for everyone in your family with all your essentials like you are going on a vacation. Even if you are moving close, this will always come in handy and make your life easier. You don’t want to get stuck searching through boxes for your toothbrush or unloading to find your pj’s at the end of a move.
7. Put heavy items in small box or if you can put them in bags or luggage to make it easier to haul.
8. Label your boxes with brightly colored duct tape and organize them for each room. Also, put the color on the door of the bedroom at the new house to help people find where to put all the boxes.
9. Have Donation and Garbage Boxes: While packing it’s great to have a couple boxes for items to donate or throw away. Then at the end of your move donate all your stuff to your favorite charity. Lots of locations have services that pick it up from your house.
10. Pack the rooms you use the least first, like the guest bedroom and storage closet.
If You Need Some Help with Your Next Move
Fill out this Contact Form for a Free Moving Estimate